Background: Sanctioned Suicide (sanctioned-suicide.org) is a "pro-choice" (i.e. not anti-suicide) website that allows people to discuss suicide and suicide methods. It was created after the subreddit /r/SanctionedSuicide was banned in 2018.
(Note that the article mostly discusses the site in a negative manner. Essentially, it's saying that people who discover the site and learn about suicide methods are more likely to accept suicide, attempt it, and die, which is why access to the site should be restricted.)
Covered in the article:
- Several accounts of people who used the site
- A list of several people who committed suicide after using the site
- The site's purpose and its content
- Legality of the site and censorship
- Doxx of the site owners (it's a news article, so it shouldn't violate the SaidIt rules, right?)
It also mentions that the site owners also run incels.is (formerly incels.co).
Edit: Much of the controversy is over the promotion of suicide. The article states that there were posts encouraging or assisting suicide even though they were against the rules. It also says that "members often derided therapy and other treatments and encouraged one another to keep their suicidal intentions hidden from relatives and medical professionals."
The site's response on Twitter: Link (Archive)
How irresponsible is it for the NYT to report on and expose suicide "methods" to millions of their readers, many of which are probably suicidal?
Context: I think that the article mentions sodium nitrite, one of the suicide methods promoted by the site.
The domain sanctioned-suicide.org is also now excluded from the Wayback Machine. (It wasn't excluded yesterday.)
Note: Site owners can request to exclude their own sites from the Wayback Machine. I believe that is what happened here, but I am not sure.
Serge was more private. He didn’t appear to share biographical information and would later remove his posts from the site, essentially erasing his visible connection to it. (The Times viewed screenshots and archived web pages that had captured messages posted by Serge before he deleted them.)
Discussion on the site itself:
- NYT story megathread [Link / Archive]
- Anyone seen this? SS in the news😡 [Link / Archive]
- Front page of the New York Times [Link / Archive]
- If you’re from the NYT article [Link / Archive]
- NYT doesn't realize that this site has prolonged our lives a little? [Link / Archive]
- An utterly retarded podcast episode on SS by NYT [Link / Archive]