If so, where is the focus?
Edit (May 13,2023):
Pinned posts, or wiki, on designated sub(s)
to curate discussed ideas & solutions
to avert / alleviate the problem
Pinned to always remain on top
- unaffected by new posts
- no need to search/scroll
- for focus & dialogue
Forum etiquette to be observed by all:
Only relevant & constructive posts & replies
Edit (June 22,2023):
To clarify: "Forum etiquette to be observed by all: only relevant & constructive posts & replies"
would only apply to the pinned posts, and not the rest of the sub(s)
Agreed, but it will never be adhered to.
Those that do not adhere signify their real position
- Users can then block them and won't see their posts ever again
- Mods can easily enforce the requirement if they choose to - since it is to be strictly applicable only for the pinned post(s)
Mods can leave irrelevant & non-constructive comments as they are - so that other users would know who the trolls are that they can block for themselves
For Focus and Accretive Dialogue, we need pinned curated posts on previously discussed and established ideas & solutions on subs with large following e.g. s/WayOfTheBern
overcome bad faith actors flooding the site with noise
- we can focus on the pinned posts
- block / ban / blacklist bad faith actors who post noise to the pinned posts
overcome serious issues inherent in the forum format, that if not addressed simply result in forums being used to dissipate our energy and usurp our focus i.e.
- older relevant post(s) on solutions get pushed down by new (irrelevant) posts @ noise and would not get much further attention, nor traction that they should
- only one person in a thread is notified of a new reply - the one immediately being replied to.
- those who post ideas subsequently will get discouraged by the apparent lack of response from others in the thread
- Those who started / joined early in the discussion will not be aware of new contributions - they too would be discouraged that their initial post on/for solutions have been forgotten (pushed down the forum) and the lack of (notification) of further response.
- The Problem does not get solved!!!
Edit (June 30,2023):
We also need a Focus Algorithm of our own